Saturday, January 24, 2015

Waiting and learning

I research everything to death....TO DEATH.
When I do my grocery shopping, I comb over every ad for every local store and cross-reference the sale items we would actually use for any coupons available. 

When my car was totaled, I spent hours researching cars, auction sites, car listings, repair websites...anything I could get my hands on.

When I've made a decision about something important, I didn't make it lightly; I've spent hours weighing all of the facts, opinions, and evidence. 
Since making my decision to pursue gastric sleeve surgery, I've kicked my research into high-gear. From medical websites to chat rooms to blogs to groups on Facebook, the resources are endless.

Don't know what the gastric sleeve surgery is? Allow me to school you:



  • In this procedure, a thin vertical sleeve of stomach is created using a stapling device. The remaining 2/3 of the stomach is removed. This limits the amount of food that can be eaten at one time.
  • Most popular surgical weight loss procedure in the nation.
  • Surgery lasts one hour and requires a hospital stay of one day.
  • Dietitians will provide on-going education on dietary regimen before and after surgery.
  • Typically results in a significant amount of weight loss.
  • Dramatic impact on weight-related health problems.
  • Excellent long-term results.
  • Allows for normal digestion/absorption.
What mostly drew me to the sleeve instead of the full by-pass was the fact that it just restricts how much food my stomach can hold. What happens with the gastric by-pass is malabsorption; meaning, you don't absorb all the nutrients. Also, with the sleeve, the part of the stomach that's removed is the part that secretes Ghrelin, a hormone that's responsible for making you feel hungry. 

I'm hungry ALL THE TIME. Especially since losing over 100lbs. It's almost like my body doesn't like that I've lost the weight and it just wants me to gain it all back. I try to trick it by drinking a glass of water 5 minutes before every meal; doesn't work...I'm just as hungry 5 minutes later. I eat a lot of protein at every meal. I even put protein in my morning coffee with this stuff-



It has protein, amino acids, and leaves no taste in my coffee. It does in my green tea (the green tea has a delicate flavor, after all) and, well, it tastes the way you'd expect ground-up bones to taste. But it leaves my hair and nails looking great, so I can deal.

Are you one of the individuals that thinks people who opt for surgery are "lazy" and "looking for the easy way out"?
Nothing could be further from the truth.

Many insurance companies have rigorous tests and requirements before they consider you for a candidate. Often, you have to do 3, 6, even 12 months of a supervised diet. You're forced to make lifestyle changes to prove to the insurance company that you're committed to this new lifestyle. Getting the surgery is just the beginning: most of the time, you're scheduled off of work for six weeks. Not because you need to heal from the surgery, but because you have to adjust to your new lifestyle and it takes 100% of your focus. 

Getting surgery isn't a "magical fix"; I've learned a lot from joining a wonderful group on Facebook of individuals who are in the process or have had surgery. It's still a lot of hard work and ups and downs. In one blog I read, the woman openly admitted she didn't change what she ate. She still ate chips, ice cream, cookies, etc. She just didn't eat big servings in one sitting, but rather snacked all day long. She's not gaining any weight, but she's not losing either. So no, the surgery is not a magical fix that will automatically make you a size two overnight.

I know what I should eat. I know how to eat and exercise and live a healthy lifestyle. I just need a powerful tool that can last me a lifetime. 

I'm tired of my back hurting. I'm tired of my knees hurting. I'm tired of being self-conscious and embarrassed every time I leave the house. I'm tired of being hungry all the time. Something is wrong with me, and I need help. I'm taking control and getting the help I need. So far, the only family support I have is David; he's been wonderful. I feel like my weight not only holds me back, but it holds him back as well. If I were a healthier size, we could get out more and exercise, have fun, and do more together. 

I'm ready to start living. Let's do this.




No comments:

Post a Comment