Thursday, August 13, 2015

Time flies when you're melting!

Oh my....has it really been 9 weeks since my surgery?!? 

Every Wednesday, I mentally celebrate the day I was reborn. Yesterday was 9 weeks out.....as of today, I'm down 43lbs! 
And now I'm 250lbs!



 
Most recent pic- smaller scrubs, baby!


So much has happened that's non-weight loss related: my husband and I are buying a house and, come the end of the month, I'll be getting one hell of a workout moving! 
I take my pre-nursing exam in two days, so I'm cramming and stressing (but not feeling the urge to stress eat- thank you, Sleevie Wonder!)
I've also been working like crazy since I returned to work full-time .

The downside to working full-time, 12 hours shifts at a job that is constantly chaos (welcome to health care) is that I've had to leave work and go to the E.R. for IV fluids. I promised myself that I wouldn't get behind on my fluid intake...but when you're running yourself ragged for 12 hours at a time, it's easy to get behind. I was staring at my computer screen and my vision went blurry, I felt light headed and dizzy, and the room was spinning. I realized this must be what it felt like when the dehydration kicked in- it was 5p.m. and I'd only had 20oz of fluid for the day at that point. 
I sat at the nurses station and sipped water with my eyes closed, trying desperately to shake it but, after 15 minutes, decided I'd be safer going to the E.R. and getting IV fluids in me so I'd get re-hydrated quicker. 4 hours and 1 bag of fluid later, I was good to go.

Know how it feels to be in the bed so you're humble when you're standing next to it


Another problem I've had is the dreaded hair-loss; it has begun. The hair loss happens for two reasons: first, because it's a normal reaction to anesthesia. Second, it's because eating and drinking for the first week after surgery is difficult, and you can't get much protein in. I'm not too concerned about it because I have a ton of hair...I think my temporary hair loss is will help me know how it feels to have average hair thickness. I'm also not worried because, early on, I was pretty good at getting my protein in. I've started taking biotin...I'll let you know how that works.
Drain hair after one shower!


Lastly, another problem I've run into is pain- not from surgery, but just from life in general. I have a bad back and a bad knee; since I can no longer take ibuprofen and Aleeve, my doctor prescribed me Ultram, a non-narcotic pain medication. The problem is, it does nothing for me! My back pain was so bad yesterday, I could barely get out of my car. I've had my tens unit running non-stop....I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to figure out what we can do. No doc...please don't suggest massage therapy =)

Because of my knee and my back (and killing myself at work), I'm not getting in my exercise like I should. My goal is to get better habits and make exercise a regular thing as soon as I'm physically able. Part of me is a bit nervous about exercising and sweating...I'm worried I'll just dehydrate myself again. I need to find the perfect balance.
 
I'm happy to report that I still can't eat much; I'm so full so quickly! I've been doing great with getting all of my protein in just eating real food. I haven't had to have a protein shake in a long time. 
Even with these problems popping up, I'm still thrilled with my results and I'd highly recommend this surgery. In fact, I've had a few friends talk to me and share that they're starting this journey. I'm so excited for them and happy to help them as much as I can; everyone deserves to feel happy and healthy! 

HW: 380lbs.
SW: 283lbs.
CW: 250lbs.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment