Friday, July 3, 2015

The things you learn after surgery

After having weight loss surgery, you have to learn your new stomach- you have to learn how to eat, how much to eat, what not to eat, how fast/slow to eat....I can understand why doctors advise taking at least a month off after surgery.

I'm pretty much healed up 23 days out...I still have some tightness/burning/pulling from my incisions, but nothing too bad. I go back to work next week. Honestly, I'm kind of nervous about it. Even when I'm home and not busy, I have to constantly work at/focus on my eating and drinking- getting enough fluids and protein in is hard with a 2oz stomach. How am I going to do it working in a field like healthcare where I'm constantly running for 12 hours? I had a hard time eating and drinking at work with a full-sized stomach!

Other things I've figured out include:

- When I get the hiccups, I'm full.
- I can now rattle off the protein content of nearly every food.
- My body DOES NOT like sugar (cue dumping syndrome)
- Bariatric vitamins are the DEVIL- they taste horrible and I have to eat 3 a day.
- My stomach is so noisy and loud after I eat, I can't be around sleeping babies.
- I have so much energy, it's ridiculous.

Also, 23 days out and I'm down 30lbs! (from starting my pre-op diet)
HW: 380
SW: 283
CW: 263

Thanks for being a part of my journey- I hope to inspire someone reading this and give them hope that there is a way to win this battle.

Everybody have a safe 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment